The Purple Church Logo

The History

Martin memorial was founded in a model home in Richmond Heights on October 19, 1951. The church’s original name was Mt. Pleasant AME Church because the members felt that Richmond Heights was a pleasant place to worship.

In 1957, we marched up Carver Drive to our new home on Lincoln Blvd. The tract of land that the church stands on was donated to the AME Church by the late Captain Frank C. Martin.

In 1954, we received our charter from the General Church and Mt. Pleasant was changed to Martin Memorial AME Church as a tribute to the late Captain Frank C. Martin who conceived and founded the community of Richmond Heights. This name was submitted by the late Mrs. Mary James.